Applying to ISU
- Applying to ISU
Iowa State University provides graduate applicants the opportunity to upload most of the required application material as part of their application. Please refer to the Application Instructions to learn what you need to do to submit a complete application for admission and for advice on uploading materials, including what is accepted and what is not.
All materials are to be uploaded as PDF documents into the online application system. If for some reason you are unable to upload a document, you may email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or postal mail to the following address:
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Graduate Admissions
12 Physics Building
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-3160
- Required Application Materials for All Students
- Completed application form
- Official academic transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Official score reports for all Graduate Record Examinations (GRE), including the Physics subject exam
- A brief (one page) written statement as to why you are interested in graduate study in physics and/or astronomy
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty or senior research staff
- Application fee is required
- Additional Application Material for International Students
- Official score report from the TOEFL exam. Minimum TOEFL score for admission is, respectively, 550 for the paper-based test or 79 for the internet-based test.
- Optional Materials
- Description of research experience: List of publications, reprints, thesis abstract, etc.
While most graduate students are admitted for the Fall semester, we also offer admission for Spring semester. The department deadline for application materials for Fall admission is February 15th.
The deadline for complete applications is October 15th for Spring entry (i.e. starting in January).
Late applications will be considered if positions are available.